31 May 2009

Trip to PA - Part 1 - the drive down to Scranton

My Mother in law (MIL) and I went to Pennsylvania for a long weekend over Memorial Day. We left on the Thursday night after getting a pedicure...one must always have nice toes when wearing sandals! The pedicure lady was quite interesting...she told MIL that "she too old be mother in law" so MIL asked how old she thought she was. Pedi lady said "fity-two" (52). MIL laughed and said, I'm 47. Pedi lady thought that we were sisters, at the most friends, but never MIL. We had a good laught at that.


We didn't leave NH until 8pm and finally made it to our hotel in Scranton, PA around 2am. But we would have made it there sooner if I hadn't been pulled over by a statie in CT. Yeah, around 1130pm thursday night I was caught doing 77 in a 55 - not too bad...so the police man came to Barbie's side of the car (I was driving and this was on I-84 southbound) and Barbie said to the policeman "Wow I've never seen a police office come to the passenger side of the car." and he responded "We like to think we're high tech in these parts." I gave him my license, registration and proof of insurance (eventhough in NH we're not required to have auto insurance) and he asked all sorts of questions like if I had any necular weapons, had any warrants out for my arrest, was on America's Most Wanted (but all in good humor). He then told me that he wasn't going to give me a ticket for going 77 in a 55 speed limit zone (a $290 fine) but rather a ticket for disobeying a traffic sign (a $75 fine).

Ok great - I'll still get a ticket, but he's saving me $215 - wonderful! I was speeding, I'll admit that, but really 12 miles over the speedlimit isn't worth the cops time - I was honestly not going with the flow of traffic...everyone else was going faster than I was. Oh well, I'll take the hit.

So he goes back to his car, another state cop car pulls up behind the original car and he gets out and starts talking with the original officer. No idea what they were talking with but after like 10 mintues, the cop comes up to our car, he gives me my fine and says that he's glad to find out that we weren't part of the Taliban or had any warrants our for my arrest. He then says "So you heading down to Penn State?" (My license plate says PEN-ST8) and we said that we were. Apparently he had a buddy that went to PSU. Awesome.

My MIL then asks the officer if we looked like sisters and the office didn't quite know what to say...and so we told him the story about the pedicure lady. He laughed and MIL showed him her toes.

We honestly believe that I got out of the $290 ticket because MIL was wearing short shorts. Nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny.

NH doesn't require auto insurance? Might not be driving up in that state any time soon then.

I told Dan what your license plate said and he almost had a brain aneurysm. Needless to say I will now be looking into how much it would cost to get something similar (if it is still available) in NC.

Anonymous said...

buy valium buy valium vicodin online - buy valium online without rx